Saturday 14 August 2010

Bailey's Cheesecake without the Bailey's!

I'm finally settled at home now after having a lovely, refreshing break at my parent's place. Two weeks went by in a blink, with using every opportunity to bake or dine out - I sure did have a lot of fun!! I know the recipients of my baked goods certainly did :-)






It was very hot the first few days I was there so I decided I would do something delicious and chilled. My eyes fell upon Frozen Cheesecake with Bailey's & Chocolate from my GoodFood magazine. The picture practically had me drooling and it was sooo perfect because I did not have to bake the cheesecake (very hot weather and a hot oven does not go hand in hand!) and an added bonus of ice-cream as a key ingredient in the recipe.


I mean, "Can it get any better??" [Chandler from Friends]


My parents have 8 grandkids in total from all of us four siblings and the kids were very enthusiastic in helping me make the cheesecake (you should see the mess the boys made in crushing the digestives!). I wanted the cheesecake to be more child-friendly and I don't drink alcohol anyway so it was easy for me to omit the Bailey's and just add more ice-cream (yum yum). So....


here is my Frozen Bailey's Cheesecake without the Bailey's


Yes, it really was that deeply delicious!

It was sooo deep! We had to cut quite thin slices because it was so rich but that didn't bother the kids, they were back for seconds! I put a few chocolate chunks in the mix which sank to the bottom but was very nice when you bit into it with the ice-cream. I haven't done the base coming up the sides before and you can see that its a bit thick at the bend but I like the base so that was a bonus for me ;-)






Overall, the cheesecake was very yummy even without the bailey's and it certainly ticked many boxes. I think it was so perfect for the hot weather and will probably make this again when there's another heatwave and a major factor that you can prepare ahead (like weeks in advance!!). I will halve the recipe next time so that it's not too deep and try it out with different flavoured ice-cream (my favourite being cookies n cream at the mo!). But most of all - I CAN STOP DROOLING OVER THAT RECIPE NOW. lol.


RECIPE:


Frozen cheesecake with Bailey's and Chocolate (taken from goodfood mag)  Serves 10


Ingredients

250g unsalted butter

2 x 250g packs digestive biscuits

dark or milk chocolate , grated

500g soft cheese

200ml double cream

100g caster sugar

500g tub vanilla ice cream , softened

200ml Baileys

50ml shot espresso , or strong coffee, cooled


Method:


1.Gently melt the butter in a pan or microwave. Put all the biscuits in a food processor and pulse until crumbled, but not too fine (or double-bag and bash with a rolling pan). Stir butter into the crumbs.


2.Take the base out of a 20cm loosebottomed or spring-form tin and line with a large sheet of cling film to come up the sides, before you put the base back in. Line the base with a circle of baking parchment. Tip in the crumb mixture and press down firmly and evenly on the base and up the sides. Freeze to set while you make the filling.


3.Beat the soft cheese with an electric whisk in a large bowl until nice and soft, then add the cream and sugar and beat until smooth and creamy. Put the ice cream into your largest bowl and fold in the soft cheese mixture, bit-by-bit, with the Baileys and coffee until smooth. Tip into the prepared tin, cover with more cling film and place into the freezer. Freeze for 3 hrs, or up to a month.


4. Bring the cheesecake out of the freezer 20 mins before serving. Lift out of the tin, using the cling film to help you, and top with grated chocolate to serve.


Whoever's going through hot hot weather - definately give this a try xxx

1 comment:

  1. OMG this was lush! and I certainly did go back for seconds, yu did a great job, as always! ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete